Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Let's go fly a kite..


My sister, Colleen, just returned from a 10 day vacation to Long Beach, Washington to attend the Washington Kite Festival. This is her 4th time going with our folks (who have been going for over 20 years). She drove the whole way there herself - 2 days and 1 night to get there. I can't seem to drive more than 5 hrs before having to stop and sleep or EAT if nothing else. My rear gets tired of sitting and my eyes go crossed. Ugh. Anyway, back to her trip... There are kites of all sizes and colors represented. Colleen has abt 15 larger size ones and a few smaller ones. You have to have pretty big winds to get up some of the ones she has. My Dad has made several over the years which he's flown and won awards for the workmanship. This is one of the latest he's made. The weather was too rainy for him to fly it when that particular kind of kite was to be flown, but he did get a pin for the perfect construction and colors of the material. Dad usually wears the most colorful clothes when he is out in his element. You just gotta love it - no inhabitions. The pants are pretty subdued this year. Other years they too have been just as colorful as the jacket. I just love my Dad.

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome about your dad sewing and his awesome kite creations. Thanks for sharing and the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kite festival sounds like my kind of event! I want to go next year!

    ReplyDelete